Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The $1000 Pillow

I really wanted that Woodland Creatures pillow from k studio. And I was determined to "save money" by somehow creating it myself. I also really admired their more architectural pieces as well, but I couldn't even consider tackling a project so complex.

As I considered how to do this, I had absolutely no idea where to start. I wasn't even entirely sure what stitching patterns with thread into fabric was called. I went to a local bookstore and found out oh, this is embroidery. I bought a dictionary of embroidery stitches, which was very clear and helpful, though I must admit to this day I only use 3 stitches regularly: the backstitch, the side stitch, the split stitch, and just recently, the french knot, thanks to my friends at the purl bee.

No comments: